Strengthening Catholic Identity
In 2011, ACCU entered into a partnership with The Reid Group, which specializes in executive and senior leadership searches for colleges and universities, health care institutions, Catholic dioceses, and other faith-based and nonprofit organizations. Together, ACCU and The Reid Group have created Strengthening Catholic Identity, a series of brochures that helps Catholic college and university leaders fulfill their responsibilities related to institutional mission.
Each brochure addresses either a leadership position or a particular aspect of enhancing Catholic identity on campus. The following series installments are currently available:
- Mission Officer: Today, 159 of the approximately 200 ACCU member institutions have a mission officer, who devotes special care to the Catholic mission of their campus.
- Visibly Catholic: The beauty of campus architecture and grounds, as well as statuary of the university's patron saints and other artwork found around an institution demonstrate an inspiring part of the Catholic view of reality.
- Board of Trustees: Boards hold the primary responsibility for preserving and promoting the Catholic identity and mission of an institution.
- Faith & Reason: In Catholic higher education, the pursuit of knowledge is best accomplished when faith and reason are viewed as mutually illuminating components of discovery.
- Presidents: The calling to a Catholic university presidency is much more than a job in senior administration; it is a role that carries the primary duty to personify, articulate, and celebrate Catholic mission.
- Chief Academic Officers: As the leader of the faculty, the CAO works with the president and mission officer to advance an integrated approach to Catholic mission and identity among the academic staff.
- Faculty: At the heart of an institution's efforts to advance Catholic identity lie the faculty, who work in front of a backdrop of the centuries-old Catholic Intellectual Tradition.
- Spiritual and Liturgical Life: Catholic colleges and universities excel at integrating intellectual development with spiritual growth—an area that college students say they are eager to develop.
- Catholic Social Teaching: In response to the social, economic, and political issues of our time, the Church offers a body of Catholic Social Teaching (CST) that can help Catholic colleges and universities in their mission to form students, encourage research, and develop their institutional culture.
- Student Affairs: At a Catholic college or university, Student Affairs seeks to develop students spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, and physically in the context of Catholic values and Christian community.
- Stewardship & Campus Operations: This brochure offers ideas for campus leaders responsible for human resources, purchasing, investments, and the physical plant to help ensure that campus policies and practices model the Catholic identity of their institution.
- Student Access & Admissions: Admissions offices at Catholic colleges and universities can help their campuses communicate their Catholic identity by reassessing their practices and procedures.
Each brochure may be downloaded at no cost. Printed copies of the Strengthening Catholic Identity series are also available for purchase. Packets of 20 brochures are available for $20 plus shipping and handling. Please call (202) 457-0650 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to order.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.