Institute for New Presidents
of Catholic Colleges and Universities
The Institute for New Presidents of Catholic Colleges and Universities (INP) is a program open to all new and interim presidents of Catholic colleges and universities in their first two years of office. It is an opportunity to network with peers and learn from experienced leaders in Catholic higher education.
Full Day Program: Friday, February 3, 2023 | 7:30 AM - 7:30 PM (Eastern) | Washington, DC
This program is held immediately prior to the 2023 Annual Meeting. Hotel accommodations and other information available in early fall.
Plus Upcoming Virtual Sessions:
Pre-Session 2: Friday, November 4, 2022 | 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM (Eastern) "Governing for Mission"
Dr. Tom Flynn, Senior Associate, ACCU Advising Services, and President Emeritus, Alvernia University
Dr. Mary Meehan, President Emerita, Seton Hall University and Alverno College
Governing for Mission is a preeminent fiduciary board duty in Catholic higher education. For this work, as is always the case, committed presidential leadership and a strong partnership between the President and the Board are essential.
This session will explore a variety of approaches and the relative roles of the Board and President and cover trends in the sponsorship of Catholic institutions, before inviting dialogue with participants.
Follow-Up Session: Friday, April 14, 2023 | 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM (Eastern)
Topic for this session will be determined by participants.
Engage with experienced presidents on topics specific to your role leading a Catholic institution of higher learning:
- Managing campus controversies at the intersection of current culture and Catholic identity
- Purposes and goals of Catholic higher education
- Canon and civil law essentials for presidents
- Current issues of concern to the U.S. bishops and working with them successfully
- Governance issues with trustees, sponsoring congregations, and dioceses
- Communicating mission effectively, especially in times of crisis
- Practices to deepen your own spirituality while leading a Catholic institution
Plus, network with your peers in Catholic higher education:
- Explore impressions and questions of leading this ministry of the Church
- Develop your network of fellow new presidents
- Engage with veteran ACCU president
Many thanks to our 2023 Institute for New Presidents of Catholic Colleges and Universities Planning Committee for their assistance in planning this year's events!
Nancy Blattner, President, Fontbonne University, Committee Co-Chair
Dan Myers, President, Misericordia University, Committee Co-Chair
Sr. Maryanne Stevens, RSM, President, College of Saint Mary
Irma Becerra, President, Marymount University
James Lentini, President, Molloy University
Dottie King, President, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College