2017 Annual Meeting
to everyone who made the 2017 ACCU Annual Meeting such a success!
In the long tradition of the Catholic Church, diversity embodies inclusion—a concept tied directly to the glory of God. For this reason, a “radical hospitality” greets all who enter Catholic colleges and universities, an incarnation of the welcoming spirit of Christ. Working from a broad understanding of diversity enables Catholic higher education to take a transformational approach to educating mind, heart, and body.
ACCU is proud that its 2017 Annual Meeting provided practical advice for advancing a deeper understanding of diversity and inclusion on campus. We are happy to offer the following resources:
- "Ten Ways Your Campus Can Be More Inclusive": See these ten suggestions for building a true sense of oneness on your campus, with examples from Catholic institutions across the country.
- Catholic Higher Education Facts: A slideshow of facts and figures demonstrating the service, accomplishments, and value of Catholic higher education.
- Did You Know? Facts about the diversity of Catholic higher education.
- Diversity in Healthcare: A Catholic Higher Education Imperative, a paper released during the meeting that focuses on diversity among students and faculty at Catholic schools of healthcare.
Speaker Presentations & Other Content
- Using Climate Surveys to Effect Greater Inclusion, presented by William Hynes, President Emeritus, Holy Names University; and Mary Oling-Sisay, Vice President, Alliant International University
- A post-conference reflection, from ACCU member president Terrence J. Downey, president of St. Thomas More College, University of Saskatchewan
ACCU Recognizes Outstanding Contributors to Catholic Higher Education
At the opening of its annual conference on January 28, 2017, the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities presented awards to three distinguished figures who have each advanced Catholic higher education. Watch the tribute videos to each recipient below, and read the full news release...
The Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, CSC Award
for outstanding contributions and extended service to Catholic higher education to:
Rev. Michael J. Sheeran, SJ
President, Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities; and former President, Regis University
The Monika K. Hellwig Award
for outstanding contributions to Catholic intellectual life to:
Sr. Margaret Carney, OSF, S.T.D.
Former President, St. Bonaventure University
The Presidents’ Distinguished Service Award
for personal service of exceptional quality to Catholic higher education to:
Thomas M. Landy, Ph.D.
Director, Rev. Michael C. McFarland, SJ Center for Religion, Ethics and Culture, College of the Holy Cross; and Director, Collegium
Pre-conference Sessions included:
|During the Annual Meeting, ACCU recognized two ACCU member institutions celebrating their 100th anniversaries in 2017:|