|Sign up now for your free subscription to Update, the quarterly newsletter of ACCU. (Please provide your title and institutional affiliation.)|
The spring 2016 (PDF; 2.25 MB) issue of Update is now available (best viewed with Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).
Welcoming the Stranger: Catholic Colleges Respond to Refugee Crisis
Prompted by the effects of the conflict in Syria, Catholic colleges and universities are demonstrating a deep commitment to welcoming the stranger by training former refugees for careers, educating students about the crisis, and inspiring graduates to advocate for compassion toward refugees.
Interfaith Cooperation Institute Draws Catholic Higher Ed Leaders
Presidents, mission officers, and administrators gathered in January to celebrate interfaith initiatives and find new ways to foster interfaith cooperation on their campuses.
What Our Founding Charisms May Yet Be
What are charisms? How should they be supported on campus? And do charisms really trump “Catholic”? Sr. Susan Sanders, RSM, shares her wise and witty outlook in this article, adapted from the closing plenary at the 2016 ACCU Annual Meeting.
Exploring the Past and Future of Charisms in Higher Ed
Review highlights from the recent ACCU Annual Meeting, which celebrated the founding traditions of Catholic higher education.
Necessary Leadership Virtues, According to Pope Francis
In offering a list of “needed virtues” to cardinals, bishops, and priests, Pope Francis outlines qualities that Catholic higher education leaders can also embrace.
Read extended editions of recent newsletter articles:
Colleges Keep Charisms Alive
By Paula Moore
Frequently Asked Questions About the Affordable Care Act
By Kurt Lawson and Elizabeth Meers
HR Management: The Messenger Matters
By Rev. Craig B. Mousin, DePaul University
History Can Guide the Future of Catholic Social Teaching
By Vincent J. Miller, University of Dayton
Organizational Justice: A Core Competency for Catholic Colleges and Universities
By Gary Miller, DePaul University
Update is a FREE quarterly electronic newsletter of the ACCU with distribution to over 5,000 subscribers. Read past editions here.
If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter or submit news items related to your institution's Catholic mission and identity, please e-mail Paula Moore. News items submitted for Update should meet the following guidelines:
- Introduce our presidents, administrators, and faculty to new or innovative activities and programs related to Catholic identity.
- Identify institutional initiatives for their significance to a national readership and for their contribution to the Church, the intellectual culture, and the common good.
- Inform member institutions about opportunities for participation in conversations and initiatives pertaining to Catholic higher education at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Share the achievements, success stories, and strategic planning efforts of member institutions in the areas of Catholic identity and institutional mission.
- Call attention to grants or grant opportunities that have as their explicit purpose, intent, or outcome the enhancement of the Catholic character of one or more institutions.
Please observe the following 2016 deadlines for article submission:
|Summer:||May 20||June 15
|February 17, 2017||March 15|
News items may be submitted to:
Fax: (202) 728-0977
Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036