|Sign up now for your free subscription to Update, the quarterly newsletter of ACCU. (Please provide your title and institutional affiliation.)|
The summer 2016 (PDF; 1.7 MB) issue of Update is now available (best viewed with Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).
Few Catholic Colleges Embracing Nontraditional Leaders
Can rumors of the academically oriented Catholic higher education president’s demise be believed? New research from ACCU examines trends in presidential hiring among Catholic colleges and dives into the skills needed to lead today’s institutions.
Catholic Higher Ed Furthers Religious Vocations
For women and men entering religious life, interactions with professors, campus ministers, and others on Catholic campuses are critical factors in encouraging pursuit of vocation.
College Encounter: Dialogue and Witness in Catholic Education
The Catholic university is a “kind of living incarnation” of the encounter between faith and academic inquiry, asserts University of Notre Dame Professor John C. Cavadini. What does this mean for today’s Catholic college?
Changes in Catholic Higher Education: Perspectives from the Carnegie Classifications
Data from the recently released rating of higher education institutions by Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education provide both a sense of the diversity of institutions within Catholic higher education and a snapshot of how they are changing to meet student needs.
In a Morsel of Bread, a Piece of the Cosmos
A Common Ground conversation at La Roche College focused on Pope Francis’s understanding of integral ecology through the lens of food, agriculture, and culture, and how “living” integral ecology is essential to the Christian vocation to care for the earth.
Read extended editions of previous newsletter articles:
Colleges Keep Charisms Alive
By Paula Moore
Frequently Asked Questions About the Affordable Care Act
By Kurt Lawson and Elizabeth Meers
HR Management: The Messenger Matters
By Rev. Craig B. Mousin, DePaul University
History Can Guide the Future of Catholic Social Teaching
By Vincent J. Miller, University of Dayton
Organizational Justice: A Core Competency for Catholic Colleges and Universities
By Gary Miller, DePaul University
Update is a FREE quarterly electronic newsletter of the ACCU with distribution to over 5,000 subscribers. Read past editions here.
If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter or submit news items related to your institution's Catholic mission and identity, please e-mail Paula Moore. News items submitted for Update should meet the following guidelines:
- Introduce our presidents, administrators, and faculty to new or innovative activities and programs related to Catholic identity.
- Identify institutional initiatives for their significance to a national readership and for their contribution to the Church, the intellectual culture, and the common good.
- Inform member institutions about opportunities for participation in conversations and initiatives pertaining to Catholic higher education at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Share the achievements, success stories, and strategic planning efforts of member institutions in the areas of Catholic identity and institutional mission.
- Call attention to grants or grant opportunities that have as their explicit purpose, intent, or outcome the enhancement of the Catholic character of one or more institutions.
Please observe the following 2016 deadlines for article submission:
|Summer:||May 20||June 15
|February 17, 2017||March 15|
News items may be submitted to:
Fax: (202) 728-0977
Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036