|Sign up now for your free subscription to Update, the quarterly newsletter of ACCU. (Please provide your title and institutional affiliation.)|
The fall 2016 (PDF; 2.2 MB) issue of Update is now available (best viewed with Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).
Intent on Change: Catholic Higher Education Addresses Diversity
At colleges around the country, students have protested injustice in nearby communities and on campus. At Catholic institutions, conversations have reflected the distinctive commitment to human dignity embedded in the faith and manifested through hospitality, dialogue, and community.
ACCU Hosts First Summer Institute for Mission Officers
Lewis University provided a serene and pastoral setting for 22 participants in the inaugural Mission Officer Institute, which focused on “The Many Hats of the Mission Officer.”
Community as the Foundation of a Healthy Workplace Culture
Community, being a hallmark of Catholicism and its social teaching, provides a particular reason for Catholic campus leaders to foster an intentionally positive workplace environment.
Pope’s Message to Youth: Joy and Mercy Can Change the World
In his address at World Youth Day in Krakow, Pope Francis implored young people to have “a merciful heart” that “is ready to embrace everyone.”
The Rome Seminar and the ‘Culture of Encounter’
A participant in the 2016 ACCU Rome Seminar recalls the “culture of encounter” that she experienced during the program, and how it helped her understand the complexity of the Holy See.
‘And the Truth Will Set You Free’: Catholic Colleges Bring Higher Education to the Incarcerated
Several Catholic colleges and universities have implemented programs that help break down the hurdles faced by current and former prisons who want to attain an education.
Global Solidarity Grants Increase Awareness of Catholic Social Teaching
Five ACCU member institutions implemented projects in spring 2016 that increased awareness of global injustice and expanded student involvement in living their faith.
Read extended editions of previous newsletter articles:
Colleges Keep Charisms Alive
By Paula Moore
Frequently Asked Questions About the Affordable Care Act
By Kurt Lawson and Elizabeth Meers
HR Management: The Messenger Matters
By Rev. Craig B. Mousin, DePaul University
History Can Guide the Future of Catholic Social Teaching
By Vincent J. Miller, University of Dayton
Organizational Justice: A Core Competency for Catholic Colleges and Universities
By Gary Miller, DePaul University
Update is a FREE quarterly electronic newsletter of the ACCU with distribution to over 5,000 subscribers. Read past editions here.
If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter or submit news items related to your institution's Catholic mission and identity, please e-mail Paula Moore. News items submitted for Update should meet the following guidelines:
- Introduce our presidents, administrators, and faculty to new or innovative activities and programs related to Catholic identity.
- Identify institutional initiatives for their significance to a national readership and for their contribution to the Church, the intellectual culture, and the common good.
- Inform member institutions about opportunities for participation in conversations and initiatives pertaining to Catholic higher education at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Share the achievements, success stories, and strategic planning efforts of member institutions in the areas of Catholic identity and institutional mission.
- Call attention to grants or grant opportunities that have as their explicit purpose, intent, or outcome the enhancement of the Catholic character of one or more institutions.
Please observe the following 2016 deadlines for article submission:
|Summer:||May 20||June 15
|February 17, 2017||March 15|
News items may be submitted to:
Fax: (202) 728-0977
Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036