|Sign up now for your free subscription to Update, the quarterly newsletter of ACCU. (Please provide your title and institutional affiliation.)|
The Summer 2015 (PDF; 1.4 MB) issue of Update is now available!
Catholic Higher Ed: Serving First-Generation and Low-Income Students
While topics like college costs and student debt have become the perennial focus of political debate, Catholic colleges and universities have long been concerned with affordable access to higher education -- especially for the neediest students.
Animating Mission in Student Life through Strategic Cooperation
Strategic collaboration between the mission officer and the vice president for student affairs can significantly advance the institution's Catholic mission.
Imagining How to Be Christ-List Together
Shared meals and listening deeply to one another's stories can break down academic silos and bring people together, with benefits for faculty, students, and more.
Expanding Mission: The Case for Reflection in Athletics
Read how one university highlights the link between sports and spirituality, challenging students to explore a faith-based perspective on athletics.
Catholic College and University Presidents: Trends Since 2000
The increasing number of lay presidents and a higher rate of presidential transitions have changed the complexion of Catholic higher education leadership.
Does Philosophy Still Deserve a Special Role in Catholic Higher Education?
Long at the core of Catholic higher education, many now wonder if philosophy should still be treated as a priority.
The Purposeful Graduate: Why Colleges Must Talk to Students about Vocation
A new book explores and critiques efforts to help students explore vocation.
...and much more, including a look at Catholic colleges and universities committing to completion assistance, how local organizations are allowing students to put Catholic Social Teaching into practice, a calendar of upcoming events, Campus Notes, and Peace & Justice Initiatives.
Read extended editions of recent newsletter articles:
Frequently Asked Questions About the Affordable Care Act
By Kurt Lawson and Elizabeth Meers
HR Management: The Messenger Matters
By Rev. Craig B. Mousin, DePaul University
History Can Guide the Future of Catholic Social Teaching
By Vincent J. Miller, University of Dayton
Organizational Justice: A Core Competency for Catholic Colleges and Universities
By Gary Miller, DePaul University
Update is a FREE quarterly electronic newsletter of the ACCU with distribution to over 4,000 subscribers. Read past editions here.
If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter or submit news items related to your institution's Catholic mission and identity, please e-mail Paula Moore.
News items submitted for Update should meet the following guidelines:
- Introduce our presidents, administrators, and faculty to new or innovative activities and programs initiated by Catholic colleges and universities.
- Identify institutional initiatives for their significance to a national readership and for their contribution to the Church, the intellectual culture, and the common good.
- Inform member institutions about opportunities for participation in conversations and initiatives pertaining to Catholic higher education at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Share the achievements, success stories, and strategic planning efforts of member institutions in the areas of Catholic identity and institutional mission.
- Call attention to grants or grant opportunities that have as their explicit purpose, intent, or outcome the enhancement of the Catholic character of one or more institutions.
Please observe the following 2015 deadlines for article submission:
|February 19, 2016||March 15|
|May 20, 2016||June 15|
News items may be submitted to:
Fax: (202) 728-0977
Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036