Welcome to the website of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, a voluntary association founded in 1899 by 53 delegates from Catholic colleges throughout the United States. Since then, the Association has grown fourfold to represent more than 90 percent of accredited Catholic institutions of higher learning in the United States, plus approximately two dozen international universities. The president/rector of each institution serves as its voting member.
ACCU’s location in Washington, DC facilitates productive partnerships with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Catholic Educational Association, and various other national Catholic agencies, just as ACCU’s residence at the National Center for Higher Education supports collaboration with other higher education associations. ACCU also works cooperatively with the secular and religious press to secure meaningful and accurate coverage of Catholic higher education.
ACCU’s principal purposes are to help member institutions strengthen their stated Catholic mission and to foster collaboration among Catholic colleges and universities. We welcome requests, suggestions, and opportunities to fulfill this purpose in creative, cost-effective ways. This site offers a number of resources for your use. If I or other members of the staff can assist you, please do not hesitate to call upon us. The best days of Catholic higher education lie ahead!
Michael Galligan-Stierle, Ph.D.
Read a sample of news articles to which Michael Galligan-Stierle has contributed:
|1/23/2016||College Association Leader Says Batting Average on Catholic Identity 'Pretty Good' (Crux)|
|12/9/2015||Catholic Colleges Get Running Start on Year of Mercy (National Catholic Register)|
|11/4/2015||Duquesne University Names Law School Dean Ken Gormley As New President (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)|
|9/8/2015||At Catholic Colleges Closest to D.C.'s Papal Visit, Leaders Size Up the 'Francis Effect' (WAMU)|
|2/11/2015||Cabrini College Hosts Day-long Forum To End Human Trafficking (Catholic Philly)|
Presentations made by the ACCU president:
(all presentations are copyrighted by ACCU; unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. For information about other past presentations, contact Jeff Gerlomes):
- Honors Education in ACCU Institutions, National Collegiate Honors Council, Chicago, IL, November 2015
- Leadership and Whole Brain Thinking: How Will You Lead at SEU This Year?, St. Edward's University, Austin, TX, September 2015
- The Catholic Intellectual Tradition at Catholic Colleges and Universities, University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX, July 2015
- The Meeting of Cultures, its Impact on the Faith, and Values of the Younger Generation: Challenges and Opportunities, ASACCU, Providence, RI, July 2015
- Opportunities & Challenges in Catholic Higher Education: An Overview, University of Dayton, Washington, DC, January 2015
- Governance and the Catholic University, Conference on Mercy Higher Education, Linthicum, MD, September 2014
- The Campus Mission Officer and the Chaplain: Structures and Roles, NetVUE Chaplaincy Conference, Atlanta, GA, September 2014
- Board of Trustees Retreat, College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ, September 2014
- Welcoming the Next Generation: Radical Hospitality and the Admissions Officer, National CCAA, Indianapolis, IN, September 2014
- Seeking Wisdom in a Multiple-Choice World: The Wisdom Books of St. John’s Bible, Saint Mary's University, San Antonio, TX, September 2014
- Ten Habits of Highly Effective Boards, Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX, September 2014
- Embracing the catholic and Catholic: A Conversation, Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX, September 2014
Read past issues of the Presidential Briefing
(log in required; available to ACCU member presidents only)