At each ACCU Annual Meeting, awards are presented to honor individuals who have made significant contributions to Catholic higher education through service and academic work.
Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, CSC, Award
The Hesburgh Award is the oldest of ACCU’s honors, having been awarded every year since 1982, with the exception of 2005. Criteria for selection are as follows:
• Has made outstanding contributions to Catholic higher education
• Has rendered extended service to Catholic higher education
• Normally has been employed at a Catholic college or university but is not currently serving as a president (unless retirement is anticipated within the current academic year)
• Has contributed to Catholic higher education beyond service rendered to a particular institution
Monika K. Hellwig Award
The Monika K. Hellwig Award for Outstanding Contributions to Catholic Intellectual Life honors an individual who has significantly advanced Catholic intellectual life.
Presidents' Distinguished Service Award
Criteria for the Presidents’ Distinguished Service Award are as follows:
• Personal service of exceptional quality to Catholic higher education
• Significant promotion of Catholic higher education through public advocacy
• Advancement of Catholic higher education through philanthropy or voluntary development activities
Review the complete list of past ACCU award winners.